Friday, November 4, 2016

Running with the Bulls

One of the best jobs I have ever had was working for a Tour Company as a spotter in the Pilanesburg. All I had to do was sit in the passenger seat of the bus, and “spot” animals. Met some interesting tourists…….
102
Then we had the three Musketeers, three very mucho Spanish guys, all in their late 20’s. They were loud and boisterous; Jaco was very tense around them. They could all speak English and the conversation gets around to the running with the bulls thing, Jaco asked if they have done it. All three have, one guy has done so more than once. I smell trouble a brewing! Jaco asks how many bulls are let loose; I do not recall the answer, but Jaco replies, “Here in Africa we run with only one bull.” This causes the Spaniards to laugh and chatter away in their language for some time.

I know what Jaco is thinking, yesterday we were chased by a big bull elephant in mustk, it is a really, really pissed of old boy, he was smashing trees as he walked along. Jaco turned the vehicle in the direction of where the elephant was last seen, this was going to be interesting.  Jaco found the old bull as I knew he would, he turns in his seat facing the Spaniards for the first time and tells them, “Now I show you how we run with the bulls.” He turns straight in his seat, engages the gears and proceeds to get as close as possible to the elephant bull.

The bull takes the bait and without any of the normal warnings elephant tend to give, chargers right at us. Jaco holds his ground until the very, very last second, I thought he was going to be too late and we would be going over, over in the vehicle and damn maybe over to the other side! I heard funny mewling sounds coming from behind me, one Spaniard slammed the sliding window shut, that really cracks me up and I laugh. That small piece of glass will not help much… only Jaco, who got us in this mess, can, maybe, get us out. He does, although the bull chased us for a fair distance down the road, the Combi’s reverse gear screaming. Jaco calming says to the now very, very quiet Spaniards, “That is how we run with the bulls in Africa, would you like to do it again?” Big uproar in the back, in at least two languages, but it is obvious that they have had enough playing with bulls for one day, if not the rest of their lives. I ask them to please pass me a Coke from the cooler box, my mouth is very dry.
More Short Stories here.

THE MEXICAN HORSE THIEF

No comments:

Post a Comment